Skip to main content

The Moonstone: It Progresses

You all. Cover your eyes and ears if you do not wish The Moonstone to be ruined for you. Or, as River Song so succinctly puts it:


DUDES WEAR NIGHTGOWNS WHAT

I forgot this. No, you know what -- dudes wear nightSHIRTS. DAMN YOU WILKIE. This is like that story about the kid who gets into a car crash with his dad and the dad dies but the kid's taken to the hospital and the doctor looks at him and says "I can't operate on him; he's my son," and you're like "Whaaaaa?" and then it's like "'CAUSE THE DOCTOR'S A LADY -- BOOM! SEXISM EXPOSED."

Wilkie's all, oh, you thought you knew what was going on?

"HOW DO YOUR THEORIES FEEL BEING PUNCHED IN THE FACE?"

Ok, but what happened here? We leave Miss Clack (boooo) and her talk of things like "the glorious prospect of interference," and we move to Mr. Bruff, who seems nice if not totally on top of things (mainly because he loves napping with his many pug dogs, and dude, who wouldn't?), and Bruff is kind of paternal in a good way, which is cool 'cause come to think of it, there aren't a lot of present father figures in this story and hm, that'd be interesting to examine if this were a different sort of readalong, but it's not, so instead we're going to say Mr. Ablewhite SUCKS IT and that whoa, Godfrey surprised almost no one by being a giant douchebag, but then we got to FRANKLIN, whom I love because he's a 20something idiot boy and just kind of adorable.

He and Rachel. Man. That scene was hilarious.

Everything's just so DRAMATIC when you're young

I don't even know with them. I am 99% sure they're gonna end up together, so I guess for now just enjoy the impassioned hand-holding and tear-filled remonstrances (SO MANY TEARS) and various flingings of one's self onto assorted furniture. They're good kids. They've just gotta stop saying goodbye to each other for forever. It makes it awkward when they meet again.

I quite enjoyed Mr. Bruff's "The great traveller became quite interested in sounding the immense vacuity of my dulness to its lowest depths."

That was a nice one. And I think we all know that something's up with Ezra Jennings. Hah, piebald man. More like Mr. WEIRDO HAIR, amirite?

After Franklin met Lucy, I highlighted: "The one interpretation that I could put on her conduct has, no doubt, been anticipated by everybody. I could only suppose that she was mad" and I wrote in my notes "or SUPER GAY." Because Lucy + Rosanna forevs, people. If there's anything to be gained from the comment discussions last week, it's that Lucy and Rosanna are going to run away to France and live in the Eiffel Tower. Which hasn't been built yet, and also Rosanna seems pretty damn dead at this point. But we ignore both those items.

There's a bunch of stuff in here about social class boundaries, and if I were still in school, I'd totally be writing an essay about it, but I'm not, and I don't have to, so here's Liz Lemon closing me out:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter 2013 Readalong Signup Post of Amazingness and Jollity

Okay, people. Here it is. Where you sign up to read the entire Harry Potter series (or to reminisce fondly), starting January 2013, assuming we all survive the Mayan apocalypse. I don't think I'm even going to get to Tina and Bette's reunion on The L Word until after Christmas, so here's hopin'. You guys know how this works. Sign up if you want to. If you're new to the blog, know that we are mostly not going to take this seriously. And when we do take it seriously, it's going to be all Monty Python quotes when we disagree on something like the other person's opinion on Draco Malfoy. So be prepared for your parents being likened to hamsters. If you want to write lengthy, heartfelt essays, that is SWELL. But this is maybe not the readalong for you. It's gonna be more posts with this sort of thing: We're starting Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone January 4th. Posts will be on Fridays. The first post will be some sort of hilar

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't

How to Build a Girl Introductory Post, which is full of wonderful things you probably want to read

Acclaimed (in England mostly) lady Caitlin Moran has a novel coming out. A NOVEL. Where before she has primarily stuck to essays. Curious as we obviously were about this, I and a group of bloggers are having a READALONG of said novel, probably rife with spoilers (maybe they don't really matter for this book, though, so you should totally still read my posts). This is all hosted/cared for/lovingly nursed to health by Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads) because she has a lovely fancy job at an actual bookshop ( Odyssey Books , where you can in fact pre-order this book and then feel delightful about yourself for helping an independent store). Emily and I have negotiated the wonders of Sri Lankan cuisine and wandered the Javits Center together. Would that I could drink with her more often than I have. I feel like we could get to this point, Emily INTRODUCTION-wise (I might've tipped back a little something this evening, thus the constant asides), I am Alice. I enjoy