Skip to main content

A Post With Little Point

Harry Potter. Why is it so awesome?


In 2009, I started a re-read of the series, which fortunately coincided with my ten year anniversary of first starting it. I got halfway through Goblet of Fire and got swamped with other things. What with the advent of the second part of the last movie this coming July, I've picked it up again. I just finished GoF, and have started Order of the Phoenix, which is probably the one I've read the most. I harbor an undying passion for Gilderoy Lockhart, but there just isn't enough stuff in CoS for it to be one's favorite.

Of course, I'd argue that there's a little too much stuff in OotP, but really just the Grawp storyline. That needs to be cut right out. Everything else is swell.

 Anyway, my original question. Why is it awesome? Harry Potter, I've found, unlike basically everything else I've ever read, can make me laugh on one page and literally cry on the next (this laughing/crying usually has to do with the Weasleys, as EMOTIONAL THINGS happen to them). I suck at analyzing literature (which is why I have a book blog!), so I have no idea how J.K. Rowling makes you care about her characters so much, but all I know is that when I read about Amelia Bones' -- an INSANELY minor character -- death in book 6, I had to put the book down and cry. Because I had just read about her questioning Harry about his Patronus, and now she was gone.

 I think two of the only other authors who've made me that attached to their characters were Dickens and Edith Wharton, and definitely not with everything they've written. Dickens, maybe just with Bleak House, and Wharton with Ethan Frome. But even with Dickens, his characters tend not to be real enough for me to really, really care about them. They're almost all constrained by what was proper for the Victorian novel.
 Basically, Harry Potter is the best thing ever and the fact that J.K. Rowling isn't a smug jackass after her books have been lauded almost to the point of worship means she's an extraordinary human being.

Does anyone have a different favorite? I would've said Deathly Hallows, but I feel like saying that's one's favorite HP is like a Christian saying the Bible's their favorite book. "Yes, that's a given, but ASIDE from that..."

Comments

  1. I undertook a massive re-read of the Harry Potter books a few years ago and it was a great experience. I've re-read the individual books many times each, but it was great to read the whole story in one go - it makes Rowling's writing so impressive, since you can really see how far she planned everything out in advance.

    It's hard to choose a favorite book in the series, but for me it's a tight race between Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows. Goblet of Fire is such a transitional book for the development of both the characters and the story and Deathly Hallows is, well, Deathly Hallows.

    I wandered into your blog via Dead White Guys and knew I liked it when I saw this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rayna (Libereading) Ooh, you read non-horrible books. *following*

    Yeah, GoF's pretty awesome. I'm not sure why I prefer OotP, although...hmm. Maybe because it makes me more emotionally involved. Which I get way into. ;) But when GoF first came out, I was way excited because of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. I am in favor of any widening of the magical world.

    And as I said in the post, yeah, DH is kind of the automatic favorite, as it is fricking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading this series for the first time in October last year, and I'm currently on Goblet of Fire. I don't have a favorite yet, since I haven't read them all, but it seems like every time I read the next one, it's my new favorite.

    Also, I'm putting up monthly posts with a linky tool thingie for those who want to link up with reviews of the books. A friend and I decided to read (or reread, in her case) before the final movie comes out. So anyway, you're welcome to link up with us if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...