Skip to main content

Planning! Preparations! Snacks!

For those of you who don't know me IRL, I'm a planner. My greatest joy in life is planning. When I contested this, my friend who lives in Boston countered with "When you visited me, you arrived with an itinerary."

True. But! because of this itinerary, we were able to pack in seeing as many old houses as possible. Also, despite flying into Boston Logan, I spent precisely zero time in actual Boston. I made my friend go to Cambridge, Salem and Quincy. And a jolly time was had by all, if you count touring a Unitarian church a jolly time (you should).

So I'm pretty jazzed about this upcoming readathon and have started to plan accordingly. My Comparative Lit degree has slowed by reading speed down to an embarrassing degree, so I in all probability won't actually get much done. But I like to have a vast selection, so these are my current choices:

Short Stories, Henry James
The Throne of Fire, Rick Riordan
Open Secrets, Alice Munro
Waiting for the Barbarians, J.M. Coetzee
Slammerkin, Emma Donoghue
Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
The Triangle Fire, Leon Stein
Daughter of the Blood, Anne Bishop
Gods of Manhattan, Scott Mebus

That's probs enough, right? Right. I'll most likely get through like half of Gods in Manhattan and then call it a day. So it goes. But I have super-awesome plans that I just now formulated, and they involve...ALL DAY TACOFEST! Can you imagine it? A whole day filled with tacos. I might even buy some Mexican Coke at the Italian place around the corner from me (yes, they're mixing cultures, but you're just being a negative Nelly).

So, 10 hour readathon. All day tacos. Are any of you participating in this? Because if you aren't, what better excuse for an all-day food marathon?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...