Skip to main content

I Am Reading Things!

So today's supposed to be What're You Reading Monday or Mailbox Monday or...something. I had a harsh weekend, guys. By which I mean A SUPER-AWESOME FUN WEEKEND, but I stayed up too late every night and now I am at work and tired. Oh, hindsight! Why cannot you ever be presentsight!

As is usually the case, I've started about twenty books and am "actually" reading maybe three. These are the current ones:

Doomsday Book - This is pretty rockin', but smart enough that when I was all lazy over the weekend, I thought '...nah, I'm gonna go with something unthinky.' That's when I picked up:

Beauty Queens - OMG EVERYONE IS READING THIS. And by 'everyone' I mean absolutely no one I know in real life, but all book bloggers. Or at least all book bloggers who are willing to read YA lit. Which, let's face it, is most of them. I was hesitant, but so many people have given it stellar reviews, that I figured what the hey. And thus far (like a third through) I am enjoying it.

For those unaware, it's about a group of teenage beauty queens whose plane crashes on a desert island and they have to survive. It's extraordinarily tongue in cheek (sometimes too much so -- maybe) and overall, I like Libba Bray's sense of humor. I've never read anything by her before, but apparently she did that whole A Great and Terrible Beauty series that people either love or hate.

The Parasol Protectorate - C'mon. Steampunk. Vampires. Parasols and tea. I forget where I first saw a reference to this, but it seemed up one of my many alleys, so I put it on hold at the library. Then it was taking A BILLION YEARS (two weeks) to come in, as everyone else in Chicago is trying to read it, so I scanned Amazon, and RIGHT HERE they have a Kindle bundle of the first three books for $10. A STEAL, since one alone is $7.99. I'm absolutely not far into it at all, but here's a sample:

Purely by chance, the heavy tip struck the end of her wooden hair stick, driving it straight into the vampire’s heart. The creature stood stock-still, a look of intense surprise on his handsome face. Then he fell backward onto the much-abused plate of treacle tart, flopping in a limp-overcooked-asparagus kind of way.

Not the best of examples, but whatever. It is lighthearted and fun and involves poofy dresses, which is all I need really.

So! Those're the main things. I haven't abandoned Moby Dick or The Princess Diaries; I've just been ignoring them. And life is busy, yo. Do you have any IDEA how many tv shows I'm supposed to be watching? It is almost beyond belief. And they are all excellent. AND I HAVE NO TIME. WHY, LIFE, WHY?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...