Skip to main content

Allergies, You Are a Stuck-Up, Half-Witted, Scruffy-Looking Nerfherder

Allergy season has hit Chicago, meaning I and most of my coworkers are sniffling/coughing/being generally gross. I used to be one of the privileged people who was unaffected at this time of year, but then oh, the distance I fell from my very high horse. If we met in person right now, I would in all likelihood glare at you and then refuse to speak, as talking hurts my throat and has made me generally irritable, but! these are the interwebs! So I can project a very happy-go-lucky state indeed. Now let's talk about books!

After a succession of reads that were just kind of 'eh,' I started to think I was going through what I've seen other book bloggers talk about as a dry spell, book-break, rest from reading, or what-have-you. But I have since revised my opinion, and decided instead that the books were really just kind of lame, and I am still very open to reading non-lame things.

SUCH AS -- The Mysterious Benedict Society! My gosh. Cannot tell you. Love. LOVE. I mean, things could change, as I'm not super-far into it, and I could suddenly find it boring or overly self-aware, or any number of things, but this morning I kissed it before returning it to my bag, and this does not happen with many books. No no no. My affections are bestowed upon a select few, and only when they fully deserve it. If memory serves, the only other book I've treated in an amorous manner is Bleak House by Dickens. I have one of those hardback, faux-old editions Barnes & Noble was selling a number of years back, and if my apartment were burning down, it would be in my top five books to save.

Anyway, the way my blog started was I entered Roof Beam Reader's TBR Pile Challenge, which I saw mentioned on Salon. It seemed like a good plan, since I have 150+ unread books on my shelves, and being the masochistic monkey who never learns, I keep buying more.

This TBR Challenge has actually proved most effective, as it's September and I'm on my eighth book (ok, I'm a little behind). I've owned Mysterious Benedict Society for two years, and since I'm behind on the challenge, thought I would pick it up since it's a children's book, and MY gosh. There's a certain intelligent, knowing tone that's in some of the children's books out today. Series of Unfortunate Events has it, and this book does too. You feel like you can trust the author, which is so important with contemporary lit, as the passage of time has not aided selecting what's good and what's crap, which leaves us with things like the unfortunate Twilight.

Anyway, it's great, and I recommend it as of 1/5 of the way through. Which isn't far, but oh well. Have an utterly fantastic Labor Day weekend, all. I plan on spending mine making an enormous amount of pasta and then eating it. Ah, America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...