Skip to main content

"And my buns -- they don't feel nothin' like steel."

And a happy Beginning of This Awkward 4th of July Week to you all. My current plans for this weirdass no-work-on-Wednesday-but-then-back-Thursday situation are to sit around and do nothing. AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE. When they passed the Declaration of Independence, surely what they wanted was for a 21st century American girl to sit around in sleepy shorts and a superhero t-shirt, watching Designing Women and not worrying about the damn British knocking on the door and quartering their troops on the couch she's using to store her Pop Chips.

There was a Clueless "watchalong" (if you will) this weekend, with Laura from Devouring Texts, Alley from What Red Read, and Megs from The Terrible Desire. If you weren't there and right now're like "HEY!", all I have to say is the announcement went out on twitter. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HATE TWITTER.

This is what you get when you have a Clueless watchalong on Skype chat:

Alley: who has a drawer just full of
turkey like that?
Megs: RICH people.

And Megs's endless quest to have people punched in the face:

Alice: "I think that I remember Hamlet accurately."
Megs: Punch her in the face, Josh!
Megs: Ooooo...he kissed her instead.
Alley: he punched her with his lips

Alice: stop calling her girly!
asshole DMV instructor
Megs: Punch him in the face!

Megs: That was way harsh, Tai.
Megs: I'm outy.
Megs: Punch her in the face!

Alley: this guy prob shouldn't be making
fun of/being an asshole to his boss's daughter
Megs: Protect her honor, Josh!
Megs: Punch him in the face!
Laura: PUNCH ALL THE PEOPLE
Megs: There's not enough face-punching in
this movie.
Alley: clearly

It was good times.

I freaked out about the end of June and finished True Grit and The Price of Salt. Basically I love True Grit's short, no-contractions face off. It's pretty much The Sisters Brothers, but not at all similar except they both are set in the West, only one's wayyy more West than the other. But I think I can say if you liked one, you'll like the other, and if you hated Sisters Brothers because you have no soul and cannot appreciate the plaintive cry of a cowboy's song, then you will not enjoy True Grit. Even though it features Rooster Cogburn: Complicated Man and General of Badassery. WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO PLEASE YOU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...