Skip to main content

Madeline Miller, you should call me

OH THE WEEKEND, y'all. Audition, callback, rejection, caroling at various locales with my trio, restaurant (read "bar") that specializes in grilled cheese and being That Person who asks them to turn down the Very Loud music, and then church discussion on the Bible and homosexuality. A swell time was had by all. And by all I mean me.

I started Song of Achilles, which everyone wet themselves over this past year. And y'know what? Yeah. It's good. Reeeeeeal good.

Part of the thing for me is that because of how it's written, I'm all "Oh, it's historical fiction," but then AJAX shows up and I'm like "Whaaaa? Madeline Miller, you tricked me aGAIN." She's probably not even trying to. If we chatted (which we totally should, Mads), she'd be like "No, that's your dumb brain doing that" and I'd be like "Mads, you so CRAZY." And then we'd drink lemonade and visit the Grand Canyon on donkeys. Which she would later write about (it is majestic, people).

So yeah, I was kind of caught off guard by how readable this book is. And as with all books I read, I'm not very far into it, but STILL. So good. In case you haven't read one of the five million reviews of it, it's told from the perspective of Patroclus, who's sometimes described as just Achilles's cousin, and sometimes described as being super-gay with him. 

Troy (the amazing movie, and if you don't think it is amazing you are WRONG) takes the former approach, which I was happy about because I'm kind of into Achilles/Briseis. Not to ship Greek epic couples (p.s. I totally ship Greek epic couples -- ODYSSEUS AND PENELOPE 4EVS).


I SUPER-hope Hera shows up. I love Hera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...