Skip to main content

Harry Potter Readalong, Half-Blood Prince II: "Dumbledore's man through and through, aren't you, Potter?"

And yet again, I did not finish the reading. LOOK LIFE IS BUSY RIGHT NOW. But I did do some of it. And I skimmed the other parts. So we're all set.

Regarding this section: I. Love. Backstory. I love backstory so much, if you give me 5% current day situation and devote the rest of your book to backstory, I WILL LOVE YOUR BOOK 95% MORE. This is a big reason I'm liking A Visit from the Goon Squad, which I started prior to Saturday's readathon because I have no regard for your "standard practices."


So when they just spend large amounts of time visiting Tom Riddle's past, oh so very happy am I. Then it reverts back to present day and there seems to be some trouble on the Quidditch team, and okay. I guess I'm on board with that. But sekritly I'm hoping there'll be more backstory. And then there is! Oh happy day. We also get flights of verbal fancy with Dumbledore:

"From this point forth, we shall be leaving the firm foundations of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."

Nice.

I was reading some section involving Harry hating Snape (you know how it goes) and tried to think, did I EVER hate a professor. Because it seemed an important feeling to remember; Harry's attitude towards Snape seems ridiculous otherwise. This is his teacher. He shouldn't act the way he does towards him.

I was such a huge suckup in school, it was hard to think of a professor I disliked on a personal level. I had absolutely no social life in college (think of your college experience, then subtract all interaction with friends/sports/activities, and you have my four years) and I spent my free time in office hours or asking my TAs to work with me in coffee shops on my Russian/German grammar (btdubs: I might have had crushes on said TAs).

BUT then I remembered. A certain professor who decided she hated me on the first day of class. In terms of personal compatibility, it was like taking two items and trying to fit them together, but the points all jar against each other. We went so far as having a special meeting to discuss our mutual dislike.

this probably would have made the meeting go better

So now that that's resurfaced in the ol' brain, I'm with you, Harry. There's no getting around it. You're just gonna hate him. But make sure you call him 'Professor' Snape, 'cause that's just basic politeness.

The other thing I want to touch on — because recap posts seem pointless, we all having just read all or, y'know, part of the section — is the Harry/Draco thing. One of the main things I've noticed in this reread is how dissatisfied I am with how the characters are paired off.  JKR, I love you, you know I do. But you cannot write romance for shit. And I don't think you know how your characters actually feel about each other when it comes to happy squishy love feelings.

So there are a ton of Harry/Hermione shippers, and a ton of Harry/Draco shippers. I used to be vehemently anti-both, because I only wanted canon. Obviously in the last couple of years, things have changed and I've gotten far more sympathetic towards non-canon pairings.

thank you, Alison Brie

There's a lot to support Harry/Hermione in the text. Way more than Ron/Hermione, actually. But when I've had Harry/Draco explained to me — damnit, it makes a lot of sense. And does anyone really believe the Ginny thing? Yeah, sure, Harry. You just happen to fall in love with a girl — who creepily enough looks like your mom — after you've ignored her for five books, and even in the book where you're supposed to 'realize' you like her, you spend the whole time stalking Draco.

SLUGHORN...how about that guy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...