Skip to main content

I got more books because of reasons

I am officially older. As you know if you follow me on absolutely any social media. BUT FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT, I decorated a cake for myself:



And, of course, despite my idiotic current state re books (OMG YOU GUYS I HAVE 28 ITEMS CHECKED OUT FROM THE LIBRARY AND I CAN ONLY CHECK OUT 30 MAX I HAVE A PROBLEM HELP MEEEE), I got some more of them.


So...Champaign, Illinois is home to the University of Illinois (where I went and it is awesome, so be aware). There are university people and there are townies, and the two clash in the Books section of Goodwill. I found a multi-volume set of the diaries of Samuel Pepys there last December. There's also, of course, a panoply of semi-creatively-named romance novels.

So of course I found Victorian People and Ideas, because what Goodwill DOESN'T have that, and also Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, which I am scared of, because it deals with Serious Things, but it seems to be one of those Actually Good YA Novels, and I'm pro-those.

Dad Is Fat is hilarious and I wanted it because I've been quoting Jim Gaffigan since 2002 and THAT IS A LONG TIME. Remember when Comedy Central mainly just broadcast half-hour standup specials, bad '80s movies and rerun after rerun of SNL (prompting brief obsessions with both Molly Shannon and Jan Hooks)? I like to call those "the Glory Days." So that's how I found Jim Gaffigan (and Maria Bamford and Jackie Kashian and Kathleen Madigan and Wanda Sykes, but I digress) and I'm really really psyched to read his book, because he posted the first chapter online and all I wanted was to read more of it. NOW THAT OPPORTUNITY IS HERE.

I also ordered Vindication of the Rights of Woman, because Barnes and Noble didn't have it. Yeah. I know. The girl working there and I were indignant. I had a library copy, but I need my own so I can mark it up with things like "SASSINESS" and "I'll bet Mary Wollstonecraft really would've appreciated that Meredith Brooks song." (side note: that song was on repeat when I read Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex in college and that experience is THE BEST).

For New York, I packed Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, Dad Is Fat, Speak, and Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot, because I am OBSESSED with this vid and if you haven't watched it at least ten times, I don't get your priorities because omg it is the greatest and if I met anyone involved with making it, I would giggle CONSTANTLY:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...