Skip to main content

If you insult Narnia, I will come at you

You know how when you watch something during your childhood, it can become enshrined as this hallowed, Is Perfect Forever sort of thing? Even when if you watched it nowadays you'd be like "Well this is just made of garbage monkeys"?

I have a RIDICULOUS attachment to the BBC/Wonderworks movie versions of the first four Chronicles of Narnia. And no, don't start referencing that cartoon shit. I didn't watch it and I'm too old to care about it now. But THE BBC VERSION was low budget, had cartoon animals in a live action setting (always a winner) and made this girl its star:



My brothers and I got the tapes for Easter one year and never looked back. If anyone insults that version, I will leap on their back like an angry puma. I DON'T CARE IF ASLAN IS A GIANT PUPPET -- he's the best giant puppet. And whoever does his voice is basically the voice of God to me. I can't even look it up, because it'll ruin EVERYTHING. Liam Neeson did the voiceover for Aslan in the new movies, and nope. Nope. Not him. Good job being Liam Neeson, though. Also that guy from Taken. 

The previews before those movies became -- as happened back in the days of VHS tapes and obsessive kid tape watching -- part of the movies to us. Before each of them, there was a preview for Girl of the Limberlost and Jacob, Have I Loved. My brothers and I still have these memorized and a lovingly festooned spot for them in our Temple of Childhood, to the point where when Annette O'Toole, who was in Girl of the Limberlost (which we never actually watched, by the way), was in a play in Chicago, I waited outside the stagedoor for an HOUR so I could have her write one of her lines from the preview in my journal. And when I told my brothers, they freaked. out.

kind of like this

To give you all extra-confidence about my ability to discern the meanings of books, one day, my middle brother and I were rewatching The Silver Chair, and it was the part where Pole and Eustace have to go back to their world and don't want to leave Aslan, and he says "You know me there by another name." And I turned to Middle Brother in frustration, because I'd watched this MANY TIMES, and said "WHAT other name?" And he just kind of stared at me for a second before saying "'GOD,' Alice."

...I would probably pick that up nowadays. Maybe.

In conclusion, the BBC/Wonderworks Narnia films are the best and I accept no other versions. Because childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...