Skip to main content

Lady Audley's Secret, The Finishening: "The vice of heartlessness became the virtue of constancy" and other 'Ooooh' phrases

What happened? Lady Audley's crazy except not, Robert basically wasted a BUNCH of time because George is terrible, and everyone's happy at the end except Alicia (poor Alicia).

But you guys...is Lady Audley's Secret...the gayest novel ever?

the dark brown eyes that were so like the eyes of his lost friend.

"You was oncommon fond of that gent as disappeared at the Court, warn't you, sir?" he said at last.
Robert started at the mention of his dead friend.

"You was oncommon fond of that Mr. Talboys, I've heard say, sir," repeated Luke.

AND THE ENDING. OMG THE ENDING. All I have for my Kindle note is "ahahahahahahaha." Not ONLY is everything basically the happiest at the end, but George and Robert and Clara are living together. It's like Victorian Noel Coward and I cannot even handle it. Mary Elizabeth Braddon, I bet 50 bucks you had a lot of gay dude friends and this was for them. This was their Brokeback Mountain. Except way better, because there're meerschaum pipes and French novels.

"I just like thinking about your brown eyes."

George, by the way, is not into it. He's totally the James Potter in this James/Sirius situation. Biggest George burn? "If your friendship could have done me any good, I would have appealed to it."

Not ok, George

There's a whole lot that could be gone into re this book. If we were in an English class together, I would be the SUPER-annoying girl raising her hand in a condescending way and talking about Victorians, madwomen in attics, and the overall lack of female autonomy in 19th century society. As it actually stands:

hahaha words and pictures

But seriously, this book was not that good. It had Moments, but most books have moments? I loved Clara, but she is the most transparent Acceptable Female Version of a Dude I've ever seen. What I really want and am really really really sad never happened is a sequel where George actually went to Australia (make up your MIND, George) and Robert and Clara actually do go searching for him. You know who Robert and Clara could be? They could be like Rick and Evie in The Mummy movies. But with more lying idly on the surface of a frozen fishpond, waiting for someone to pick him up (remember when that happened?).

How do people feel about Lady Audley being shut up forever for her own good? She was kind of, y'know, evil. But there's been so much in recent years about 19th century ladies being locked up just because some dudes decided they were crazy that I'm now completely reactionary about it. And her husband was all "Oh yeah, never tell me what you did with her." OMG THAT IS A PERSON. 

Finally, I'm not tellin' you all that there's unfinished Sherlock/Lady Audley's Secret fic, but there is.

GOOD READALONG, Y'ALL. Our minds and GIF folders are all the richer for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...