Skip to main content

Should You Read How to Build a Girl (yes yes of course yes)

Remember how Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads) hosted the readalong of Caitlin Moran's How to Build a Girl and I fell off the earth for a week and neglected to post a final post YES, WELL. WELL INDEED. Here is my overall review for/reasons why you should buy and read How to Build a Girl.



Do you enjoy breezy narrators who make you feel safe about the world?


Do you wish to read some YA but not with an embarrassing teenage sand-fairy or whatever the new thing is on the cover? (pretty sure it's sand-fairies)


Do you stare nightly at your copy of How to Be a Woman and say in the loudest corner of your heart "Why God, WHY has Caitlin Moran not written a book that is basically exactly her life but in the form of a novel for young girls that will hopefully teach them how to be the best version of themselves while not being overly preachy?"


Yes? To all of those? Oh, but where can you find such a book.



Ah-ha! How to Build a Girl, coming out in September and which I plan on re-reading at least twice (and I DO NOT RE-READ because there are too many books, but this one is worth it). It's fun, it's important, and I so very very very much wish I had read it when I was 13. Are there any other teenage girl protagonists like Johanna Morrigan? She's funny, she loves a boy but that is not the CRUX of the book by any means, she has a family that seems like a real family and that maintains its presence throughout the book as opposed to being shunted off the second she meets a guy she likes, she has a job that she loves to do, she is a proactive lady and I love her. 

Buy this book

Caitlin Moran, if you are not writing a sequel, I shall picket your house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...