Skip to main content

Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi: This Review is Very Spoilery DANGER DANGER

I can't even talk about the rest of the book apart from the ending right now, because what??? What?? I knew the end was going to be weird/discussiony because you all TOLD ME it was, but I didn't realize it was so right off the boat This Would Make Shit Go Down on Tumblr maybe-not-okayish.

Where Social Justice Policing Reaches Asinine Levels™

So if you want a basic rundown of Boy, Snow, Bird with pretty much no spoilers, it's about a young woman who abandons her abusive rat catcher father, escapes to Massachusetts or Connecticut or something, and creates a life for herself in the small town in which she winds up. Her name is Boy. The daughter of the man she marries is named Snow. Her next daughter is Bird.


There is SO MUCH about race in here, but I feel like it's one of those situations where Oyeyemi has buried most of the book ten inches underground, and you have to dig to figure it out, but quite frankly, I don't want to dig. This book would be fantastic to write a college essay about, but I'm 29 and my only school right now is Shit I Click On On Wikipedia. Which doesn't require a lot of papers.


I thought it was going to be a Snow White parallel story but then they only mentioned Cinderella and then there was racism and then ALL OF A SUDDEN something that was basically **(THIS IS WHERE THE SUPER-SPOILERS ARE)** 'a lesbian got raped and then turned into an evil transgender man' and WHAT.




Okay. Okay. Here's the thing, Helen Oyeyemi. I get that maybe transgenderism wasn't your point. And I get that all this could...somehow...have happened. But much like yes, some black people steal things, if you put that in your story, you are contributing to a cultural idea that is slowly getting fixed and you are therefore making it worse rather than helping. Transgender people have been portrayed as evil for YEARS. Are you really adding to that tradition? What's your game here? And I don't even know what to say about the lesbian rape thing. Both things seems harmful and weird and I still like your book because overall it was really good and it made me keep reading, which books rarely do, but still. What.


If anyone has insights into this, I would absolutely appreciate them. I'm still going to read Mr. Fox, because I DO like her writing, but that ending...would need explanation.


A lot of explanation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...