Skip to main content

Archaeology, Murder, and Giant Ground Sloths: Why am I not reading about these things?

There are subjects I tend to read books about, and then others I am VERY INTERESTED IN that I don't. This isn't on purpose; I've just realized it's the case. So here're a few:

1. TRUE CRIME all the true crime. I grew up with a mother who doesn't like detective novels, but loves true crime. I skimmed books on the Night Stalker on road trips, and am extremely well-versed in shows like City Confidential, Forensic Files, and American Justice. I also know way too much about serial killers, possibly because young females are the primary target, so if you learn about them you can avoid them. Maybe. If you try hard. But probably not.

2. GIANT MAMMALS OF THE PAST. Maybe there hasn't been a good book about them? I never really had a dinosaur phase (aside from my eternal and undying love for Jurassic Park) but I love giant mammals of the past. Also birds. And snakes. Ok, basically anything that isn't a dinosaur.

TITANOBOA

3. ARCHAEOLOGY. If you're not Jenny from Reading the End, who endures me sending her basically daily articles on stuff someone dug up, please now know that I love the shit out of archaeology. Our past is buried in the ground!! Let's dig it up! What's down there! I don't know! I think I'm not reading books on it partially because I'm more into articles that're like "Look what someone found in a medieval garbage pit!" and then there're pictures of the things.

These all seem like solid book topics. There're probably some bangin' books about all of them, and the reason I even thought of this post was because I saw the book Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood and was like


I just wanted you all to know that even though I don't post about books on these topics IRL I talk about them a fair amount. Except for the archaeology one. I don't talk about that much. I'm also really interested in anthropology, but I post a lot about Neanderthals on here, so I figure that one's more obvious. 

In conclusion, I am totally going to read that Tinseltown book. And hopefully it somehow involves them digging stuff up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...