Skip to main content

Charleston or, Alice Has a New Job

I left my job of seven years two weeks ago, and have been footloose and fancy free ever since. Haha, jk, I have a new job! But as it is a job that takes its employees to Charleston, South Carolina for a team meeting, I remain relatively footloose.

Here I am footloose as I dangle them in the water

A fair amount of the trip consisted of bonding, as my team members and I are spread out across the country. We stayed on the Isle of Palms, about 25 miles from downtown Charleston, and right next to the ocean. By right next, I mean it took appx 60 seconds to walk to the ocean. 




Where there were jellyfish! Jellyfish that I thought were dead, but then someone told me that nay, they were SUNNING THEMSELVES. However, I have just googled this, and it turns out that's a load of crap because jellyfish evaporate in the sun because they are 98% water.

Aside from amazing memories like hot tubbing  next to the ocean at night and being able to see All the Stars (note: no one can actually see all the stars, but you know what I mean), I also went to downtown Charleston on the last 2 days. The first day, I had nought but an hour! One hour! Before all the museums closed. So I chose the Charleston Museum, as it apparently has the oldest collection in America.

And they put chamber pots in their restrooms like fun people!


It's a canjo!

After inquiring of the Charleston tourism center what, if anything, is open after 5, he directed me down King Street, where I found Blue Bicycle Books! Where I had this conversation with the person on duty:

me to bookstore guy: "So are you one of the thriving independent bookstores in Charleston?"
"We are THE thriving independent bookstore in Charleston."
"Ooooooh."

I bought Still Life With Woodpecker, 100% because that's the book Drew Barrymore's character reads every morning at the Hawaiian cafe she goes to in 50 First Dates, and I love the hell out of that movie.

That night the dudes in our company put their impressive cooking skillz on display and dumped a giant pile of seafood on the kitchen table.

It was awesome.

The next day I went to two house museums and then cut myself off from all museumy things, because I am attempting to get better at self care and I was v. tired and would not in fact have fully enjoyed said museums. I did enjoy going to a cafe and drinking coffee/reading a David Sedaris book. But before that, the two house museums.

The first was the Joseph Manigault House, built in 1803 and constructed in the Federalist style. Joseph Manigault had a very nice face and also owned a lot of slaves. The tour guide (whose name was Samantha) really emphasized everything that would've been built/taken care of by enslaved people, as well as how awful their living conditions were, which I very very much appreciated. We also discussed how on trend the Manigault's mint green paint choice was.

Gorgeous Manigault House

They had a ticket deal where if you bought 2 house tours, you saved like $6, so yeah, like I'm not gonna take them up on that. The other house was the Heyward-Washington House, which I only photographed the "necessary" (outhouse) and spinnet of, but because my photo of the necessary sucks, here is the spinnet:

I got to get closer to it than normal because I was the only one on the tour.
Also the tour guide and I bonded over Tim Burton.

Oh! On my walk to the Heyward-Washington House (built in 1772 in the Georgian style and hosted Revolutionary War meetings), I stopped in at an old old church that had awesome box pews, so look!:

boxes!
So old. Mmm.

After both house tours, I wandered around Charleston, stopped to take a selfie with a British soldier mannequin


and wound up at the Second Presbyterian Church's (1809) graveyard.


I don't want my interest in graveyards to be seen as morbid or goth or whatever, although think what you want to. I like them for a number of reasons, which include liking the past, feeling linked to people throughout time, and experiencing one of the only places where our culture allows us to be somber/sad. If I were sitting in a graveyard crying, people would leave me the hell alone and not feel that awkward about it. Of course I'm crying, I'm in a graveyard. I'm not saying I did this -- the only exclamations I made were apologies to dead people as I probably walked over them in my quest to read a tombstone -- but the fact remains I could have.

This was my second trip to Charleston. My first was excellent but involved much more pouting over walking up museum steps.

There were a lot. I was tired.

I would for sure go back again. I feel I've spent a fair amount of time there and barely grazed what it has to offer. I turned down going into at least 3 museums that I just randomly passed by. It's an old old city that's done a great job preserving its old things in a muggy climate, and it has kickass restaurants.

Also, having a new job is the best and they've given me time to go to BEA and sometimes life does a splendid 180 on you, and all you have to do is put in the work to make it happen. #wisewords #goodthingsalicehassaid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...