Skip to main content

What're You Reading?

Jobs! Activities! Summer! They all combine to bring a person's reading rate down, down, down. BUT! That person still takes much joy in starting books she has not yet finished and therefore cannot blog about and therefore feels she CANNOT update her blog until she remembers she sometimes posts about books she hasn't finished yet.


SO! In the midst of jobbing (*quickly googles if 'jobbing' is some weird sexual slang no it is not ok carry on*), being in tech week for a show (A SHOW THAT IS 1776), and gal palling around with my girlfriend, WHAT has been going on in Alice's Book World?

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister. 
This was recommended by someone I work with at the Frances Willard Historical Association, and as of the first 60 pages, it is GREAT. It's mentioned Willard twice already. And talks about women being more of an independent group in America than ever before, etc etc. If you need stuff in your books beyond Willard mentions.

The Fangirl Life: A Guide to All the Feels and Learning How to Deal by Kathleen Smith. 
This is actually a pretty quick read, but there are a lot of things to THINK about while reading it, which makes it less quick-readingish. While I will always always see myself as a fangirl, this book is primarily for when it can take over your life, which has certainly been the case for me, but less so because of the abovementioned job/life/relationship situation. But it's still fascinating and I am liking it.

The Scarlet Sisters: Sex, Suffrage, and Scandal in the Gilded Age by Myra MacPherson.
VICTORIA WOODHULL. "And Tenny." Ahahaha. This is about the first woman to run for president, Victoria Woodhull, and her sister Tennessee Claflin who no one talks about anymore but was v. popular in her own day. Her own day being the 1870s.

Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark.


I'm also looking at some issues of The Manhattan Projects, which is fine but not riveting. As Jenny from Reading the End has pointed out, it's just...so many dudes. Like 98% dudes. I cannot think of a single female character right now and I'm halfway through volume 2. 

HAS YOUR READING BEEN STALLED BY SUMMER?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...