Skip to main content

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black: Vampires! Vampires everywhere!

I took a break from life to read some sweet sweet fiction.


Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is about a world where--VAMPIRES! VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE! Except more specifically in Coldtowns, which are like big walled in areas where they keep the vampires. Only they haven't caught all of them, so you still have to take precautions in normal life or you could get bitten and then infected and then you either have to sweat it out for 88 days and somehow not drink human blood, OR, you go to Coldtown. 

ALL ROADS LEAD TO COLDTOWN.

So the main character is Tana and she's 17 and she wakes up the next morning after a party and all her friends are dead. That is the BEGINNING. She finds her ex-boyfriend still alive in a room, but bitten, oh and there's also a vampire chained up in there. But said vampire warns her that the other vampires are calling from inside the house so she's like "oh shit" and they all get outta there.

But who is this mysterious, sexy-but-dangerous (and helpful!) vampire? What's up with her infected ex-boyfriend, is he gonna be nice or a tool? And what does Coldtown look like??

This was a pretty damn good vampire book. In the list of vampire books I've read, it's high up there for page turnability and also for the scariness quotient for its vampires. There's like 10 seconds of "I am a powerful creature of the ages but I am so attracted to you, high school girl" but it's over pretty quickly and the rest is Well Built Vampire World.

Don't you love Holly Black?

Comments

  1. My very favorite thing about this book is how terrible her ex-boyfriend is and how she's always like "ugh you are the worrrrrrrst" but also does not want to let him die. I kept expecting him to become all the way evil (instead of just a jerk) and her to have to kill him, so I enjoyed the actual unfolding of events. What a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK yes, so I think I could enjoy this, primarily cos you confirmed this bit
    "There's like 10 seconds of "I am a powerful creature of the ages but I am so attracted to you, high school girl" but it's over pretty quickly and the rest is Well Built Vampire World."
    so thank you for that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I loved this book. It’s, like, a simultaneous send-up of Twilight and its ilk, but also, like, homage to all of the great vampire stories out there. And since Coldtown = Springfield, MA, which is near where I live, I also loved that part of it. Holly keeps telling her fans that there might be a sequel, at which point we all get our hopes up, despite knowing that it will have to be years before that can happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...