Skip to main content

The Women's March 2018: Be Seen, Be Heard, Stay Angry



On January 20th, 2018, Chicago will host a second Women’s March. Those who attended the first remember the astounding numbers, miraculously warm weather, and surge of energy across the nation as America’s women stood up and said “we are here and we are angry.” 

So we did it. Our elected leader who bragged about sexual assault and who has made countless denigrating remarks about women is still in charge. Why are we marching again? 

 There is a tendency in any movement for things to lag. People become complacent, they accept their new reality, and think they can make no change. It makes sense that after the draining year that 2017 turned out to be — a year where one could constantly feel buffeted on all sides by waves of racism, misogyny, cruelty, and disregard for the planet — after that exhausting year, why should people come out in January weather to stand in the streets once again and say “We are still here and we are still angry”? 

 The answer is because without that voice, and without that visibility, we are not only saying this is how things are, we are saying that we are fine with that. And leaders see exactly what we are fine with, and they act accordingly. 

The thing is, there weren’t just women in the streets last year. The individuals carrying signs, shouting chants, and marching down Wabash were women, men, and gender non-conforming people, making themselves seen and heard, grabbing the nation’s attention, and uniting groups in ways they had not been before. 

I urge you on Saturday, January 20th, to make your presence known. Make your voice heard, even if it’s one of thousands. Without your voice, we will be quieter. With it, we will be louder, stronger, and more capable of carrying forward the message that this is not normal, this is not who we are as a nation, or as citizens of this world, and we are on a path to making things right, one step at a time.

Comments

  1. I am so proud to have a friend who works hard to advocate for the marginalized. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Alice. While I can't participate in the Big One, I will try to find someplace local where I can show up and hopefully matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're having a first anniversary event for our weekly demonstration on the public square of my small town, with the theme "reform congress," holding signs addressed to our so-called "representative" who has agreed to a meeting with us only once during the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall be marching again, in a smaller local one. Staying visible and staying angry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...