Skip to main content

Book Blogger Hop! Again!



If you could physically put yourself into a book or series, which one would it be and why?

When I was five, I was convinced I could get to Narnia if I could find the right doorway. I remember looking quizzically at and then pondering a soccer net and the circle of light made on the ceiling by a lampshade. But then, of course, I started thinking about how there always seemed to be something bad happening in Narnia, so I had to specify in my mind that I WASN’T going when the White Witch was in charge and it was always winter but never Christmas, and I wasn’t going when King Miraz reigned or when it was about to be invaded by a lot of bad people. I’d go during the nice times. Then I believe I started thinking that skipping around the forest with fauns would get boring pretty quickly, and since I wasn’t a very imaginative child, that was pretty much all I could think of to do there. So I abandoned the idea altogether.

Nowadays…that's a hard question. From the books I’ve read this year, I’d like to give Holden Caulfield a hug. I’d like to yell at Goody Cruff about what a horrible person she is. Looking at the others, I have no interest in being involved with any of those characters.

One of my favorite books of all time, the book I have hugged when alone in my room, is Bleak House. Even the characters in it that infuriate me, I love. So, if in addition to being physically present in that world, if I could have a chance to actually talk with Lady Dedlock or Esther Summerson (or even Mrs Jellyby, although I imagine that conversation would leave me shaking in frustration from her inability to talk of anything but the natives of Borrioboo’la Gha), then I’d want to go there.

I’d also pretty much die to be able to speak with Dorothea Brooke in Middlemarch, but it’s all moot anyway, so I shall not distress myself by thinking of impossible it is.

Comments

  1. Narnia is fun.

    Stopping by from the blog hop...have a fun hop.

    Stop by my blog if you like to see my answer...I listed three. :)

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never stop searching for the right door into Narnia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping by from the blog hop. When I was little, I wanted to find the door into Narnia, too!

    Here's mine: http://sinnfulbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/follow-friday-blogger-hop.html

    New follower ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd go to Narnia. In a flash.

    Here's my blog post for this week's Hop. I hope you will stop by and follow, if you like. I always follow back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...