Skip to main content

I Rescued a Book

I went to one of the many Borders that're closing here in Chicago. It's in the mid-state of being picked over, and I was able to go through all the Fiction/Lit in about 20 minutes. In the course of my perusing, I noticed that they had Wigs on the Green by Nancy Mitford. This book has cropped up no less than three times in my life in the course of the last week, whereas before that I'd never heard of it. I thought 'Oh, well, you know the library has it, so just leave it there and save yourself $12.'

But as I wandered through the rest of the bookstore, I kept thinking 'But what if some horrible person who won't appreciate it, its subject or its delightful cover buys it?? What if, drawn in by the discount pricing, they just shove it in a pile with a bunch of other books and then either resell it to an even nastier person or leave it forgotten on the lowest, darkest shelf of a dingy bookcase, never to see the late night light of a Mighty Bright or be cared about as anyone with a scrap of decency would care about it? What if that happens, Alice??'

It is now resting comfortably on top of my Nurse Jackie DVDs at the side of my bed.

Comments

  1. Great blog Alice! I wrote a little about the Borders situation in Australia here: http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-heard-news-today-oh-boy.html and saving books here: http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/03/great-book-experiment-1-frozen-read.html

    I'm following from the Book Blogger Hop and would love a follow back - scathingweekly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...