Skip to main content

The Help Readalong: Week Three. Spoilery Things Again.



I kind of feel like Hilly's some vaudeville villain. Like she actually has some sweeping black moustache and every time she does something particularly evil, she rubs her hands together and says "mwahahaha." She's just ridiculously awful. Like a Southern 1960s version of Dolores Umbridge.

Look at how far we are! My Kindle informs me it's 59% of the way through. Which is excellent, because this is a damn long book. And of course, I'd like to remind you all that if you've already read it, or want to jump in now, other points of view are welcome. Especially since my particular opinions are going to continue to primarily be composed of gifs proclaiming my love of Celia and Minny (and Mr. Johnny! oh, how wonderful he is!):


I fully admit that I started tearing up when all the maids started walking by Skeeter and telling her they'd help with the book. DISPLAYS OF UNITY AND LOVE, you always make me cry. This extends as far as that scene in Legally Blonde 2 when the Delta Nu phone tree is activated and they all march on Washington for animal rights. Yeah, I've seen that movie a few times.

I marked this passage:

“I was sick and I know that’s no excuse, but I was feeling real poor and…” She starts sobbing then, like the worst thing she’s ever done in her life is yell at her maid. 
“Alright,” I say. “Ain’t nothing to boo-hoo over.” 
And then she hugs me tight around the neck until I kind of pat her on the back and peel her off. “Go on, set down,” I say. “I’ll fix you some coffee.” 
I guess we all get a little snippy when we’re not feeling good.

with "MINNY AND CELIA LOVE FOR ALWAYS." Which is accurate. And OMG: "And it stings, not because I haven’t been yelled at before. I just haven’t been yelled at by Miss Celia yet."



I want them to be best friends forever and Leroy'll stop drinking and they'll have barbecues together and Minny's kids'll play with Celia's and NOTHING SAD WILL EVER HAPPEN TO THEM AGAIN.

Speaking of happier things, Lou Anne Templeton! O ye who smiles too much! Look at you, being all awesome! ALSO, Stockett, you crafty wench, look at you constructing high tension scenes like Skeeter leaving her satchel. I was on a bus reading that and almost lost my shit. "WHY DID YOU LEAVE IT, SKEETER!!" my mind thundered as I stared bug-eyed at the Kindle app on my phone. Yeah. That Stockett knows what she's doing. She's not the greatest author ever, but my interest has been maintained.

Chapters 20-28 for next Tuesday, kiddos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...