Skip to main content

Off the Shelf Hideously Long List

I am almost embarrassed that what I consider to be a huge commitment (30 books) is, in fact, classified as no more than 'Making a Dent' in the Off the Shelf challenge, but I suppose that is pretty much exactly what's happening, as my TBR shelf is currently at 150+. Oh my indeed.

So. Here're my proposed 30. Let me know if any are hideously terrible:

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (I own this in hardcover and paperback and have yet obviously not read it)
The Reef, Wharton
A Brief History of Time (stolen from my aerospace engineering professor father — suck it, nerds)
Official Book Club Selection, Kathy Griffin (got this in my stocking last Christmas)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
The Looking Glass Wars, Beddor (owned this an embarrassingly long time w/o reading it)
Rules of Civility, Towles
My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me (I got terribly excited about this and yet have not gotten around to it yet, boo to me)
The Crimson Petal and the White
Twilight Sleep, Wharton
The Divine Comedy
A Damsel in Distress, Wodehouse
Notre Dame de Paris, Hugo (I am about 2/3 through this, but I stopped in 2007 and never finished it)
Trois Contes, Flaubert
Notes on a Scandal
Little Altars Everywhere (ugh, YES, I loved Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. fine. revoke any good opinion you have of me)
And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation
Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Wyrm King (Spiderwick Chronicles rules)
Prep
Henry James, Selected Short Stories
The Grapes of Wrath
The Golden Bough, Frazer
Henry VIII: The King and His Court (owned this for at least ten years)
The Woman in White
Dear Fatty, Dawn French
Cranford
First Meetings, Orson Scott Card
Run, Ann Patchett
Elizabeth & Leicester, Gristwood 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...