Skip to main content

There are no fun songs about Mondays

Damn, you guys. I have a Who's the Boss Monday hangover. WHO'S THE BOSS. Because my evil friend Skye said "Hey, come over Sunday night; we'll watch Who's the Boss." Because that's the kind of thing my friends do. "Can you summarize Tony and Angela's relationship in three and a half hours?" I asked. "Yes, I can," she said. EXCEPT I STAYED FOR FIVE BECAUSE TONY AND ANGELA HAVE A LOVE THAT WILL NEVER DIE.

I'd never seen that show before. Just saying. But there were some pretty strong '80s television feelings happening in Lakeview last night.

AHHHHHHHHH

Shipping things is my JAM, people. I talk about books, but they're just another way of finding things to ship. If you don't know what shipping is, 1) How are you internetting? 2) Are we friends, because I'm pretty sure all my internet friends are fangirls. 3) Edumacate yourself.

I went to the library Saturday, braving Lollapalooza teens who all decided that NOW was the time to dress like streetwalkers and Venice Beach-goers from 1991. When I was a teen I got very up in arms about my generation dressing in a slutty way, and now I basically figure if they want to look slutty, they'll look slutty, no matter what the time period. So in 1901 they'd show some ankle (WHAT) and now they use tube tops. Which I feel like shouldn't be a thing anymore, but there we have it. So they'll do that, the smart girls will do well in life, and there's an end to it.

I was at the library to get some sheet music, BUT I also checked out the Wilkie Collins section, and GOOD LORD THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKS. Granted, some might suck. For those who've been doing the readalongs, we're reading stuff from his middle period, so the early stuff? Could be rough. But still. WILKIIIIE. I'm obviously going to be writing about him Wednesday, but the fact that he was Dickens' BFF is astonishing. Their outlooks on life seem completely different, and I get that people can be friends despite that, but it seems to boil down to Dickens being a douchebag and Wilkie being awesome. But then, of course, we have the Wilkie-lived-with-two-ladies-and-what-now? thing. Also, are we aware he named one of his daughters Marian? NO SURPRISE. Because Marian is the best. Anyway. People Are Complicated.

Well. Happy Monday, all. Let's try to wake up. Maybe get some coffee. Think about some hit ABC sitcoms from the '80s.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...