Skip to main content

"The sweet, sound passage of time." "What's she dribbling on about?"

So. 2013. This feels pretty good. Yeah. I'm likin' this year so far.

This post is mainly to remind people that TWO events are happening this week.

1) The Harry Potter Readalong of Amazing Awesomeness or whatever I called it is starting FRIDAY. 



The first post for what will surely be the greatest readalong in the history of the internet is going to be introductions (I DON'T KNOW ALL OF YOU) and things that might be harder to discuss in the weekly book discussion posts. What do you see in the series as a whole? Are there issues/random things you think we should look out for while we re-read this (or in Meg's case, 'read this')? Really it's a 'do whatever you want' post. 

As mentioned before, the people who usually take part in these readalongs tend to respond to books with keyboard mashing and GIFs. So if that's not for you, mayyybe don't do it? And this is pretty much about discussion, so be prepared to visit other blogs and tell people they and their opinion SUCK but you love them anyway. Or however you want to put it — I'm not Harry Truman; I don't know things.

So let's get ready for talking about whether Dobby is the Jar Jar Binks of Harry Potter, how much Sirius Black does, in fact, suck eggs, and why Luna Lovegood's Quidditch commentary is MAYBE the best part of the entire series.

2) Second thing this week is A TIKA-HOSTED MINI READATHON.


Tika (who is super-cool) is hosting a mini-readathon for those of us who're tired and not overly ambitious and can commit to maybe eight hours so long as snacks are involved. All the details on the mininess can be found on her blog (which you should subscribe to, fyi).

It's starting at 10 a.m. CST, which is perfect, because then I have time in the morning to trawl Tumblr for hilarious gifsets of a puppy trying to challenge a cow. The cow doesn't acknowledge you, puppy! You are too small!

I feel like that's enough for the first week of the new year. I'm gonna go try to start Gone Girl so I can attempt to be on the dull edge of popular literature (the cutting edge for Gone Girl passed by, what? six months ago?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...