Skip to main content

Is it a good idea to read scary things?

I spotted Fast-Walking Couple again today after MONTHS of no sightings. There is a picture on twitter, because I refuse to keep that from their loyal fans. If I'm not invited to their wedding, I will be seriously displeased. And the wedding invitation shall be addressed to "That Creepy Girl Who's Blogged About Us for Over a Year and Is Much Too Invested in Our Relationship."



Now that it's nigh on Halloween, I've been thinking about scary books. Mostly because I almost never read them. And here's the thing. I obviously have one particular worldview. Everyone has a worldview. Mine has been heavily influenced by Christianity, because I became a Christian when I was 13 and, in case you were unaware, I tend to throw myself into things. So couple the boundless free time and energy of a 13-year-old with a new religion and BAM. Still trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff there (ahahahaha and that is a biblical reference in case you did not know, behold my scholarliness).

So the Bible (more particularly, probably Paul) says "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." So we've got that verse. And then there's the idea of purposely putting horror/terror in front of you. And I just don't know. I feel like there's enough in this world that's awful without purposely exposing yourself to more of it. BUT I also understand that when it's in the secure, closed environment of the novel, it can be a way to process the feelings that those awful things give you.

unlike the horrifying reality Ariel
had to face this week

There's also the question of if scary novels are just not your cup of tea. I got scared by Zombieland. Which was a comedy. I also have some issues with Shaun of the Dead. I couldn't read The Historian at night because of that rat-faced librarian vampire (btdubs, I don't care if it an unpopular opinion: I loved 80% of The Historian MUCHLY). I'm also unreasonably impressionable, so if I read something like Hell House by Richard Matheson, I will get depressed because of the overpowering influence of demonic forces and humanity's helplessness in the face of them. Because of this, I'm unsure as to the benefit of them, beyond the aforementioned control over what is by definition not in our control ("Oh, don't worry, the killer has to go away in an hour and a half").

Which is actually the main issue I have with frightening fictional things. They don't go away when the fictional thing has ended. I can't be alone in my apartment when it's over. I have to check every corner and call people and turn on all the lights. These things stay at the forefront of my brain. They very much enjoy their time there, as I find it impossible to think about anything else. Which means that when given the choice between a Patrick Dennis novel or Stephen King (whom I WILL read someday), I'm going to choose to read about the madcap adventures of Auntie Mame. Which is so not seasonal, but does save you all from getting 11 PM phone calls from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...