Skip to main content

More Things I'm Reading Right Now

Right before the 24 hour readathon seems like a good time to stop and look at which books I've currently started and not finished yet (ah, so many). Fall seems to always kick into I Am Particularly Busy, Thank You mode, so I've read not very much? And I kind of have books I promised people I'd read and review in a timely fashion, so I am FAILING AT THAT, only not completely because I've half-heartedly brought them with me on the bus at various times and read like two pages before remembering I have Candy Crush on my phone.

I'm a reader, you guys

Burial Rites, Hannah Kent. Little, Brown was all "Hey, do you want to read a book about an Icelandic murderess?" and I said "Ahahahaha yes, why are you even asking." And I've started it, and while I wouldn't be all "Omg the WRITING, people," it's good. It's a good book. And. Y'know. Most of the books (read: all) I read take place in North America/England. So this is a branching out.

BUtterfield 8, John O'Hara. I love John O'Hara. He was supposed to kind of be an asshole in person, but I will read all his things. I've started this and already giggled in an obnoxiously gleeful way when I realized the direction it was taking. It was written in the 1930s and...look, John O'Hara is just great. The End.

Finnegans Wake, James Joyce. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I HATED JOYCE? And then Megs reviewed it yesterday and I had the unexpected reaction of really wanting to read it. So I got it from Open Books (best bookstore in Chicago) and it's pretty swell. Do you know what word he uses? "Hierarchitectitiptitoploftical." SAY IT OUT LOUD THAT IS THE POINT. If I could marry words, I would. (she said in a totally unpretentious way)

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt. This is still great. The fact I didn't become hopelessly mired in the middle speaks volumes as to its greatness. Because it is a longass book, and I now have fewer than 200 pages to go. But still. Longass book.

50 Works of English Literature We Could Do Without. This is stellar in the snarkiest of ways, but it's not a read-straight-through sort of book, as it consists of 50 essays by three authors. I'll eventually do a post where I just quote a bunch of first lines, as those tend to be the best parts of the reviews.

The Maid's Version, Daniel Woodrell. I don't even know where this is, to be honest, but I'm sure if I gave it the ol' college try, I could find it in under 15 minutes. This is an EXTREMELY short novel about a fire at a dance hall, and it's written by the guy who wrote Winter's Bone, which I didn't know was a book but knew was a movie because JLaw's in it.

Lest we forget our muse

If I can finish TWO of the above by the end of Saturday, there shall be much rejoicing. In my apartment. With hummus. And tiny chocolate chip cookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...