Skip to main content

Alternate T-Shirt Slogans for the Suffragette Movie

Look. I want the Suffragette movie to succeed. Probably more than some.

I'm just saying.

But their unfortunately chosen t-shirt slogan has rightly angered many people. Because guys. Guys. For reals?


I know this is a quote by Emmeline Pankhurst, but this movie is definitely being marketed to Americans and MERYL STREEP IS AN AMERICAN and someone on this photoshoot should've stepped up and said "Um...sooooo...hey. Maybe...maybe not this."

So. Here're some t-shirt slogans they could've used that aren't the terrible idea they ended up going with:

I'd rather be a rebel than a piece of property.

Speak up til they're speechless

I'd rather be in Minangkabau (Get it? 'Cause they have a matrilineal society)

And even going with their original intent, here're adapted Emmeline Pankhurst quotes:

Not a Law-Breaker But a Law-Maker

Make noise til they hear you

Deeds, Not Words


Or, as my friend Doug suggests, "I Wanna Vote, You Fuck."

What I'm saying is...you guys could've tried just a little bit harder.

I'm a writer. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...