Skip to main content

October Book Releases Make Me Want to Cry From an Abundance of Riches



It's October, which means The Month When Everything Gets Published For Some Reason. Is it people going back to school? Settling in for the certainly long winter? WHO KNOWS, but these are all damn exciting books and I want to read them all:



Then Comes Marriage
, Roberta Kaplan. Note: I have finished this and I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Let's all read about gay rights and then have a celebratory dance party, which I shall DJ as I do not dance.



The Witches, Stacy Schiff. Currently residing at my girlfriend's apartment, but I am totes going to read it, because Salem witch trials, who doesn't want that in October.


Lafayette in the Somewhat United States, Sarah Vowell. I know Vowell didn't plan for the publication of this to coincide with Hamilton madness, but that is FORTUITOUS timing and I already think this book is the bee's knees as of a quarter of the way through it.








Carry On, Rainbow Rowell. Yeah, like we're not reading the newest RR book.










The Sword of Summer, Rick Riordan. My Rick Riordan craze happened RIGHT before I started book blogging, but this latest mythology series of his is about Norse mythology and GOOD LORD I WILL BE READING IT.










The Givenness of Things, Marilynne Robinson. Aren't we all supposed to love Marilynne Robinson? She seems so wise. So I'm pretty sure essays by her are a thing that should be read.




EXCITED FIST BUMP, EVERYONE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...