Skip to main content

The Book of Deuteronomy Always Gets That Song from 'Cats' Stuck in My Head

I just looked up "thunder bible" in google image search, looking for...I don't know, some kind of picture of God with impressive looking storm stuff around him, but instead I got this picture of Zeus, so that's what you're getting:




I'm an iconoclast, but I'm not one of those nasty iconoclasts who breaks into your 14th century home with a mallet and starts smashing up all your lovely pictures of the Virgin Mary. I am just personally not into having images of God around. Except obviously in blog posts.

I had a purpose to this post, but got distracted by Zeus's weird, kind of elfin headpiece. And I mean a real elfin headpiece, not the kind this dude over to the right's wearing. Because that's just for silly Christmas elves, not badass Tolkien ones. 

So I'm trying to read through the Bible in a year. Other people have done it, so why can't I? Turns out because other people obviously had a longer attention span and a greater endurance for Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. The first time I tried this, I made it to the first chapters of Exodus (the second out of 66 books in the Bible, for any pagans out there) and then gave up. This time, I was determined to make it through. It is, however, now April and I am on the 5th book of the Bible. Dividing it up purely by books and not total number of chapters, by 1/3 of the way through the year, I should now be reading Song of Songs, aka The Sexy Book. But instead I'm reading about why the Israelites need to give stuff to the Levites and when it's proper to stone people.

For a modern day Christian, the Old Testament's really discouraging. God seems almost unrecognizable compared to what some call "the God of the New Testament," and it's really, really, really difficult to understand why the Israelites are being commanded to do things like stone the people in the community who start to worship others gods in order to "purge the evil from among you." Maybe our generation has just heard way too many dictators talking about purging and cleansing, which just amounts to heaps of dead men, women and children. But I feel like it's probably a good thing to be uncomfortable with people using blunt force trauma to kill others, right? Or really any means, come to think of it.

As a Christian, you tend to give the benefit of the doubt to God. I mean, He's God. I think I do this, but when you read these 4000 year old documents, translated by some 20th century Christian guys (I read the Right and Proper NIV translation and shall read no other, no matter how accurate it is), with little-to-no historical or cultural background or context as to what was going on around the Israelites at the time, it can just look awful.

The essence of this is: it's really hard to read the Old Testament and not feel all squirmy inside when reading about what was considered holy and right. But 1) I don't think it matters much anymore, and 2) There's probably no way I can ever really understand it. Which I'm okay with. But understand it or not, I'm gonna read all of it. And then I'll be able to check it off on that obnoxious showoff list of How Many Books You've Read. Which is second on my list of benefits from it right after Spiritual Edification.

Comments

  1. I'm a old follower but I don't know if I ever left a comment before. I think your writing is extremely funny and I always get a chuckle out of your various detours (like with the elfin headgear in this post). Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @As the Crowe Flies and Reads I know you mentioned you were reading The Ape House, but I won't let myself read your review yet since I think I'm gonna read it soon. But I like your blog a lot, so I'm happy you like mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter 2013 Readalong Signup Post of Amazingness and Jollity

Okay, people. Here it is. Where you sign up to read the entire Harry Potter series (or to reminisce fondly), starting January 2013, assuming we all survive the Mayan apocalypse. I don't think I'm even going to get to Tina and Bette's reunion on The L Word until after Christmas, so here's hopin'. You guys know how this works. Sign up if you want to. If you're new to the blog, know that we are mostly not going to take this seriously. And when we do take it seriously, it's going to be all Monty Python quotes when we disagree on something like the other person's opinion on Draco Malfoy. So be prepared for your parents being likened to hamsters. If you want to write lengthy, heartfelt essays, that is SWELL. But this is maybe not the readalong for you. It's gonna be more posts with this sort of thing: We're starting Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone January 4th. Posts will be on Fridays. The first post will be some sort of hilar

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't

How to Build a Girl Introductory Post, which is full of wonderful things you probably want to read

Acclaimed (in England mostly) lady Caitlin Moran has a novel coming out. A NOVEL. Where before she has primarily stuck to essays. Curious as we obviously were about this, I and a group of bloggers are having a READALONG of said novel, probably rife with spoilers (maybe they don't really matter for this book, though, so you should totally still read my posts). This is all hosted/cared for/lovingly nursed to health by Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads) because she has a lovely fancy job at an actual bookshop ( Odyssey Books , where you can in fact pre-order this book and then feel delightful about yourself for helping an independent store). Emily and I have negotiated the wonders of Sri Lankan cuisine and wandered the Javits Center together. Would that I could drink with her more often than I have. I feel like we could get to this point, Emily INTRODUCTION-wise (I might've tipped back a little something this evening, thus the constant asides), I am Alice. I enjoy