Skip to main content

Two Posts? What Is This, St. Swithin's Day?

I was doing my daily blog-skimming from Google Reader the other day, when something on Laura from Devouring Texts' blog caught my eye. And that would be a reference to How to Leave Twitter by Grace Dent, which she loved.

So I have a particular kind of love for obscure British celebrities, which is at least partially due to me finding it hilarious to know anything about them. I follow a gang of them on twitter, and they all tweet to each other, because there are ten people in all British Entertainment (it's a tiny island), so they of course know each other. They're mostly clever/funny, but they also make many references to things I totally don't get, because, y'know, two countries separated by a common language, etc etc.

The author is one of these people. My path to knowledge of her went like this: 1. Get interested in British actress Keeley Hawes. Watch her show Ashes to Ashes. 2. See Amelia Bullmore on Ashes to Ashes, google her. 3. Find pictures of Amelia Bullmore with hilarious captions on some woman named Emma Kennedy's website. 4. Find out Emma Kennedy a) knows everyone and b) is on twitter all day every day. 5. Follow Emma Kennedy on twitter, see that she's having frequent conversations with @gracedent, follow @gracedent.

I genuinely loved this book and will be recommending it to anyone who has any kind of understanding of Twitter (read: not my mother). Oh, Grace Dent. You used to just be that person who Emma Kennedy was friends with and who tweeted all the time, but now you are that hilarious woman who has far more evolved theories on feminism than I do and who pointed out, quite rightly, that on Twitter "I feel something that I feel very rarely in the rest of the world: that my sex is 100% equally represented."

There's also "If you cold-called me and asked me to help you with your survey entitled Shit I Think About Jennifer Aniston, I would go for the box ‘I couldn’t give a fuck’ every single time."

See? You clearly want to read this book.

And of course, it's much more of an extended Ode to Twitter than an actual guide to leaving it. That bit only takes up a few pages at the end. Most of it explains the types of people you meet there, why it's great, and why it's terrible. As a medium-level user of twitter, I can't say I'm familiar with all these types, but as they're also the kinds of people you meet in real life, it rings true.

Because only appx. five people in the United States know who Grace Dent is (I'm still a bit unclear, to be honest), her book's available here, but only in Kindle format. And it is the low low price of $5.50! A steal if ever I saw one! Also, did you know you don't need a Kindle to read Kindle books? No! You just need to download the Kindle computer app, then in between checking out that hilarious cat video (they're all cat videos), you can read a page or two. Reading from the Kindle app is not staring bug-eyed at a computer, forever destroying your eyesight, as some might have you believe. It is MULTI-tasking. Different.

One more quote, as there're so many excellent ones:

I am not interested in ‘think pieces’ about whether size 12–14 women should be allowed to go down the catwalk and be able to easily find clothes in shops. I don’t need to ‘think’ about that. Only a gibbering dunderhead has to think about that.

So great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter 2013 Readalong Signup Post of Amazingness and Jollity

Okay, people. Here it is. Where you sign up to read the entire Harry Potter series (or to reminisce fondly), starting January 2013, assuming we all survive the Mayan apocalypse. I don't think I'm even going to get to Tina and Bette's reunion on The L Word until after Christmas, so here's hopin'. You guys know how this works. Sign up if you want to. If you're new to the blog, know that we are mostly not going to take this seriously. And when we do take it seriously, it's going to be all Monty Python quotes when we disagree on something like the other person's opinion on Draco Malfoy. So be prepared for your parents being likened to hamsters. If you want to write lengthy, heartfelt essays, that is SWELL. But this is maybe not the readalong for you. It's gonna be more posts with this sort of thing: We're starting Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone January 4th. Posts will be on Fridays. The first post will be some sort of hilar

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't

How to Build a Girl Introductory Post, which is full of wonderful things you probably want to read

Acclaimed (in England mostly) lady Caitlin Moran has a novel coming out. A NOVEL. Where before she has primarily stuck to essays. Curious as we obviously were about this, I and a group of bloggers are having a READALONG of said novel, probably rife with spoilers (maybe they don't really matter for this book, though, so you should totally still read my posts). This is all hosted/cared for/lovingly nursed to health by Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads) because she has a lovely fancy job at an actual bookshop ( Odyssey Books , where you can in fact pre-order this book and then feel delightful about yourself for helping an independent store). Emily and I have negotiated the wonders of Sri Lankan cuisine and wandered the Javits Center together. Would that I could drink with her more often than I have. I feel like we could get to this point, Emily INTRODUCTION-wise (I might've tipped back a little something this evening, thus the constant asides), I am Alice. I enjoy