Skip to main content

Lesbian TV and the Holocaust? What are you doing, self.

So I spent yesterday watching 12 episodes of The L Word after resisting it for years because I thought it was going to be trashy, but have now discovered it is the BEST. From my hours and hours of watching I have culled the best scene, namely when Tina and Bette -- who are having a baby -- have an intervention done for them because they're becoming too boring.


The show reminds me of Alison Bechdel's long-running comic Dykes to Watch Out For, which I am a billion percent positive it's been compared to. That's the comic that created the Bechdel Test and was generally ahead of its time. Or maybe current with its time. But at any rate, Alison Bechdel was one of the first people to do something like it. She's also the author of Fun Home, which you should all read because it is awesome and one of the only graphic novels/memoirs I've ever cared about. My copy is currently absent from my home because all the ladies at church have been passing it around.

It's Monday, so let's talk about Holocaust literature! There was a debate on Twitter last Friday about The Book Thief, which I'm currently reading. I like it, but some hate it. Then there was an argument about whether it counts as Holocaust literature since it's mostly about a non-Jewish German girl who (as far as I know) doesn't go to a concentration camp.

Hmmmmmm. Ok, Wikipedia says the Holocaust was "the mass murder or genocide of approximately six million European Jews during World War II." But I'm gonna go ahead and say that pretty much anything set in Germany during WWII can be counted as Holocaust literature, if only to save us from being bogged down with sub-genre upon sub-genre.

I'm liking The Book Thief because Zusak paints very clear pictures, and through either repetition (which I know drives some people crazy) or weird word choice, has made me remember things from childhood and connected me to the book. And I like the narrative style. I find it clean and simple. But everyone approaches books differently, and things in our past influence how we approach authors. So I get why someone would hate or at least dislike it. But I do not.

I don't know when schools started assigning Holocaust lit, but that coupled with a morbid fascination, especially as a child, means everyone from whatever decade on has read a fair amount of it. Here're mine:

Night, Elie Wiesel
Maus, Art Spiegelman
Sophie's Choice, William Styron
Diary of Anne Frank (ok look, I started this like twice and it was too boring and I never finished it. I am sorry.)
The Hiding Place, Corrie ten Boom

I don't know, Holocaust lit is so sticky because you know going in it's going to be sad, and it can be hard to psych yourself up for something like that. Sophie's Choice was enormously sad, but it's so. well. written. So that kind of makes up for it.

This is too much Holocausting for a Monday. Go watch that clip. It is funny. And here y'go:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...