Skip to main content

My Currently Reading pile will be added to until it topples over and kills me

For those who don't follow me on twitter (*peers at you*), you might not know that I am currently majorly obsessed with the musical The Mystery of Edwin Drood. The cast recording is being released next Tuesday, but they're selling copies in the theatre now, SO, I...er...kind of asked a friend of my brother's to go to the theatre, buy a copy and upload it for me. Which he did. So I now have it, thanks to living in the FUTURE.

Ugh this cast. Also BUSTLES.

Speaking of Dickens, I'm working on Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of '80 and it is Not Great so far. Mainly because it's set in 1780 and Dickens has almost exclusively confined his action to a bunch of old men sitting around a tavern fireplace. There was one grumpy guy, but then he left. If someone named something like Alfred P. Whiffersnook doesn't show up soon, I will continue to read this, but under protest.

I've also started The Silver Linings Playbook, and it is AWESOME. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's one of those This Is Just Good and You Should Read It books. Yeah, I'm like a fifth of the way through it, but STILL. I'd say you can usually tell like ten pages in whether a book's gonna suck or not. Maybe 20. Gotta get past that first chapter. But yeah, the narrator's crazy and it's great. And JLaw is in the movie, so how can you go wrong with either?

Someone was telling me yesterday to reeeally try again with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I don't know. I kind of feel like its moment has come and gone. But I do have it for Kindle. And people got reeeally into it. And then I could watch the Swedish movie version, which I've been wanting to do for a WHILES.

This'd probably be one of those #firstworldproblems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...