Skip to main content

It's basically all I'm reading right now

My reading habits as of late have led me to say 'Dickens was an asshole' more often, usually in public places. But it's usually along the conversational lines of "Dickens was an asshole...but here's this awesome stuff he did." Like he can't just get away scot-free. He's insanely revered anyway, and if I'm adding to that, I'm also adding the knowledge that after his wife gave him ten kids, he made fun of how fat she was to his friends.


Asshole.

I haven't really been near academia, aside from occasional emails to my professors, in yeears, so it's pretty damn fantastic to be reading a book by one scholar and have her be like "Of course in Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's book--" and I'm like "I KNOW THAT BOOK I READ THAT ONE CHAPTER THINGY THAT HAD TO DO WITH MY TOPIC." Because this topic is actually pretty narrow and all the scholars know each other and occasionally make fun of each other's theses and it becomes this super-nerdy in-joke type thing when you've read enough of their books. FUN.

ANYWAY. Quick preview of Queer Dickens: Furneaux's main idea seems to be that our idea of the nuclear family (mom/dad/kids) was not so much supported by the Victorian age, and in Dickens's works in particular there's a tremendous emphasis on ELECTIVE families, who frequently have no biological link to each other. So it's not so much a book about "Hey, look at how gay everything is" (which would be both incorrect and irritating), but rather with a broader definition of 'queer' that seems to mainly mean 'not heteronormative.'

But who wants to read posts with words like 'queer' and 'heteronormative'? Psh. I know why you guys're here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...