Skip to main content

Woman in White Readalong-in-April Sign-Up

 Were you all PERFECTLY aware that The Woman in White doesn't involve a ghost?? Here I've been thinking that this WHOLE time and I suddenly thought 'wait...what if it doesn't. Then in April you will be most disappointed indeed." And no! Not a single ghost in that whole giant book! So much sadness.

Nooooo no ghosts


In my defense, there's a for reals (fine, "for reals") ghost called the White Lady. And then there's the book The Woman in Black. Which is about a ghost. So I don't think my expectations were unreasonable. Just in case anyone else had my totally rational reaction, here is the button/graphic/whatever for the readalong (which is April 2-30):


So now I'm just looking with suspicion at this book, because my expectations for it have been dashed and all I know is it's by Wilkie Collins, and that he was kind of nutty. He also had a GIANT forehead. I'm attributing all these things to him being named 'Wilkie,' because that's just silly, that is.

To conclude, here is the Mr. Linky:




April 9th - Preface through Chapter XV, The End of Hartright's Narrative

April 16th - Beginning of Vincent Gilmore's Narrative through Chapter IX in The Second Epoch

April 23rd - Chapter X, Second Epoch through Chapter X, Third Epoch

April 30th - Finish

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...