I've looked up books for moping in my own reading history, and they would be the following:
1. Catcher in the Rye - OBVS. The world is terrible and all the people in it are terrible (except for a couple of them) and what can you do? Nothing, that's what. Except maybe run around with some kids who aren't as terrible as everyone else.
2. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Oh look, everything horrible ever, plus a heroine you don't care about. "But is there a 2 a.m. baptism of a dead baby?" you ask? YES.
3. Ethan Frome - This was the ultimate emo book for teenage me. THEIR LOVE, IT WAS CONTROLLED BY FATE. Damn you, fate.
4. East of Eden - Things suck and people die, but there is HOPE. Somewhere.
5. Fahrenheit 451 - The world's probably fucked, but at least there'll always be some people who like books.
6. Main Street - Life sucks. No, it's really, really awful. Mainly because of monotony. So have fun with that.
7. Eugene Onegin - Good job with your life decisions, because they're all going to turn out wrong.
8. Sophie's Choice - The Nazis ruined everything. And some people are beyond help.
9. The Help - Skeeter is getting kicked out of the Junior League. Let's talk about how awful this is. Also there're some maids.
10. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - You can't trust people, but at least family's there.
I'm gonna go listen to some mopey songs. If you all have anything to add to this list, PLEASE feel free.