Skip to main content

You should all read Auntie Mame and Lord Peter Wimsey

I am a slouchy pile of slouch today due to EVENTS on the weekend. The fact I can type is currently being seen by my brain as a miracle, so forgive me for whatever this post ends up being about. I just feel guilty about a relative lack of updating last week, so HERE ARE MY BRAINTHOUGHTS, INTERNET.

Patrick Dennis is vastly, vastly underappreciated. People barely know who he is today, which is just BS, for he is one of my all-time favorite authors (see also: Dickens, Margaret Mitchell, particular A.S. Byatts). He wrote Auntie Mame, which I usually name as my favorite book when forced to answer this stupid question. It's episodic, which is my favorite way a book can be, and there's so much detail in a non-hideously boring way. It's funny and socially advanced (make of that phrase what you will) and I love it.


There's also a sequel, which is actually more of a parallel novel (it takes place during Auntie Mame) called Around the World With Auntie Mame. The copy I originally read was from the University of Illinois's undergrad library, and it was from the first printing. When I bought a copy, I was exceedingly astonished to discover it contained a "new" chapter. Said chapter involves Auntie Mame and her nephew Patrick (the narrator) living on a commune in, I believe, the Ukraine. It was censored from the early editions because it dealt with communism. Which is RIDICULOUS because all that chapter does is point out why communism doesn't work.


Speaking of the undergrad stacks, I miss them. The U of I has an ENORMOUS collection, and pretty much whatever I needed, they had, usually in an old edition. I started Series of Unfortunate Events there, then Auntie Mame, then the Lord Peter Wimsey series. I think I've talked about fonts before, and how they make me judge books, be it however unfairly. Since I started reading the Wimsey series using the library's Very Old Copies, when I graduated and hadn't yet finished them, I had to go to AbeBooks and email booksellers for pictures to find the right WimseyFont. I've mentioned this before as well, but I forget if I've included a picture of the correct WimseyFont. It is this (the first page of Gaudy Night, which is the greatest):



Fonts are important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Blogger Hop, Pt II

All right. The question for this week is:  "Do you read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once?" Oh-ho my. I have an issue with book commitment. I start a new book, and it's exciting and fresh, and I get really jazzed about it, and then 20% of the way through, almost without fail, I start getting bored and want to start another book. I once had seven books going at the same time, because I kept getting bored and starting new ones. It's a sickness. Right now I'm being pretty good and working on The Monk , Northanger Abbey , Kissing the Witch , and I'm about to start Waiting for the Barbarians since my friend lent it to me. But The Monk and NA are basically books I only read when I'm at work, so I don't see it so much as working on four books, as having books in different locales. Yes. This entry wasn't as good as some of the others, but I shall rally on the morrow. Yes I shall.

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy: Readalong Signup

You know what was the third bestseller of its time after Uncle Tom's Cabin  and Ben-Hur ? THAT IS CORRECT, Looking Backward  by Edward Bellamy.  No one talks about this book anymore, but it was a sci-fi utopian novel about a young man waking up in the year 2000, which is a socialist utopia . Looking Backward  spawned over 150 "Bellamy Clubs" that got together and discussed political issues, and it looks like a damn fascinating book. It is also available FOR FREE online. Here's the Project Gutenberg link . So read this not too long book with me in February and get familiar with a bestseller of the 19th century!

Minithon: The Mini Readathon, January 11th, 2020

The minithon is upon us once more! Minithons are for the lazy. Minithons are for the uncommitted. Minithons are for us. The minithon lasts 6 hours (10 AM to 4 PM CST), therefore making it a mini readathon, as opposed to the lovely Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and 24in48, both of which you should participate in, but both of which are a longer commitment than this, the Busy Watching Netflix person's readathon. By 'read for six hours' what's really meant in the minithon is "read a little bit and eat a lot of snacks and post pictures of your books and your snacks, but mostly your snacks." We like to keep it a mini theme here, which mainly means justifying your books and your snacks to fit that theme. Does your book have children in it? Mini people! Does it have a dog! Mini wolf! Does it have pencils? Mini versions of graphite mines! or however you get graphite, I don't really know. I just picture toiling miners. The point is, justify it or don't...